Thursday, June 1, 2017

Cluster Beans (Mitkesanga/ Gorikayi/ Gavar) Chutney.


Cluster Beans (Mitkesanga/ Gorikayi/ Gavar) Chutney. … Cluster Beans a little bit of bitter veggie also known as Mitkesanga / Cluster Beans / Gawaar / Guwaar Phali / Gorikayi / Javalikayi has actually load’s of health benefits. Do include this vegetable in your daily diet in some form to enjoy the same. Here is a simply delicious chutney prepared from cluster beans that goes very well with Idly / Dosa / Appo or even as an accompaniment to spiced rices like garlic rice, pulav, biryanies ….. Yummy … 


Cluster beans or Mitkesanga as we all know is a very good vegetable with immense health benefits. The slight bitterness in the vegetable puts of people from consuming the same. There are many dishes that can be prepared using it either as it is or mixed and matched along with other veggies. I have prepared many dishes and shared here before of the same too. But chutney is something new to me. I came across this during the early days of my marriage 28 yrs back. My then neighbor who was my age always liked to chat with me whenever we had time. She had casually mentioned this then and I had studiously written down the same like thousands of other recipes I have jotted down but somehow I never got down to preparing the same. Those days I was too busy to think of preparing a new dish almost everyday. As mentioned before I have at least 7-8 bks filled with them and I am browsing through them as and when I get the time now. I did remember the chutney, so I dug out the recipe. I tweaked it to suit my taste by adding in some roasted chana dal / putani as I did not want to add in much of coconut. So let’s move on to the recipe that tasted simply awesome with Urad-Rice-Varai Idly.


Ingredients :
Cluster Beans : I cup cut into pieces
Coconut : ½ - ¾ cup freshly grated.
Onion : 1 large sized
Green chillies : 4-5 spicy one’s cut to pieces
Coriander Seeds : 2 tsp
Jeera / Cumin Seeds : 1 tsp
Haldi / Turmeric Powder : ½ tsp
Garlic : 15 cloves 
Roasted Gram / Putani : 2 tblsp
Tamarind : small marble sized ball
Oil : 2 tblsp
Salt to taste.

Tempering :
Mustard Seeds : 1 tsp
Curry Leaves : 10-12 fresh leaves
Coconut Oil : 1 tsp


** Wash, trim off the edges and cut the cluster beans / mitkesanga into small pieces and cook in little bit of water till soft. Keep this ready aside along with the cooked water. Do not discard the water, as it can be used while grinding.


** Heat 2 tblsp oil in a thick bottomed kadai, when hot add in the peeled garlic cloves and fry till slightly colour changes on medium heat. Now add in the Onion, Green chillies, Coriander Seeds, Jeera, Haldi / Turmeric Powder, Roasted Gram / Putani and fry all together on medium heat for 4-5 minutes. Lastly add in the coconut and further fry for another 4-5 mins. Remove from fire and let cool down a little bit. 


** Put all the fried ingredients along with the cooked cluster beans with the cooked in water into the mixer grinder and grind to a smooth paste. Add in more water only if necessary. The paste should be smooth and thick like our regular chutney. Remove into a bowl and add salt to taste and mix well. 


For Tempering : Heat the oil, when hot lower the heat to medium and add in the mustard seeds, when they begin to splutter add in the curry leaves, fry a bit and pour it immediately over the chutney. You can use any edible oil instead of coconut oil. 


The Cluster Beans (Mitkesanga) Chutney is ready to be served as an side dish with any dish of your choice. Though my friend had suggested this goes well with Idly and I had prepared the same, I found this chutney goes very well with rice along with other dishes too. An awesome chutney that really goes well with roti, parata, dosa or even biryani. Yumz. This chutney is sure to be repeated many times in my house. Do prepare the same and enjoy it with a dish of your choice. Also do send in a feedback via mail, it will not only boost me to prepare many more dishes that are collected over the years and are lying there in the book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.